Monday, July 9, 2012

The Warm Smell of Cinnamon

The boys love breakfast.  It's been their first words for many years each morning..."What's for Breakfast, Mom?"  Today we are making Maple French Toast Muffins.These can be made ahead of time and frozen for a quick on the go breakfast too.

The boys think they don't need "cooking lessons" if they can read directions.  While I see their point, there is a lot to be said for actually making a dish.  They don't, yet, understand that just because the recipe calls for something or a certain measurement that it can often be changed, omitted, added and subtracted.  That is why the journey of cooking with the boys is taking place.  Let's see how it goes.

I am using a recipe from www.food.com called Maple French Toast Muffins.


In true form, I changed some of the directions for my batch.  Instead of making the "Topping Mix", I put the bread cubes into the egg/milk wash to soak.  Then added that to the dry ingredients.  It worked FAMOUSLY!   Below is a picture of our muffins.


The boys ate them with syrup and were pleasantly surprised at how good they tasted.  "Texter" and I made a double batch so I could freeze them for easy eating on a busy morning.

Let me know if you have a favorite French Toast recipe.  I'd love to see what you're making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Drop me some words.